Friday, February 13, 2015

Toughen Up, Buttercup

I have ignored this blog for too long and I am sorry I have not documented so many things. It's been about two years and YES! I survived grad school and now have a beautiful diploma on my wall to remind me that I can do anything I want to do. However, the last lap of the graduate race taught me what I think is the greatest lesson of grad school (and probably life).

In order to graduate I had to pass a comprehensive exam that tests everything you've learned in all your classes. Not one class, but all of them. So, I took the mega test, passed it and anxiously awaited for my results. One week passed and the suspense was killing me so I emailed my professor.

I asked if my scores would be posted online soon. No response.

I wrote back and said, "You're killing me. Did I pass?" His response was classic.
I was slightly offended at first but he couldn't have been more right about me. Two years and great grades I was still insecure about my scores, my work, myself. TOUGHEN UP was right.  You've got to have a thick skin in this life especially if you want to make a difference and lead others in this world. I thanked him later.

My husband and I have started a new business venture that require us to feel our way through the darkness, motivate others when we are exhausted, persevere when others say the project tis too big, save every penny we make and push through on minimal sleep. There are days I find my thoughts wandering into the realm of settling. Settling for comfort and our current lifestyle. But thats never been me. Our new project (which I promise to write about soon) has amazing potential and I believe can make a difference in many peoples' lives and leave a legacy for my future children. 

That email stays with me to this day. Those words help to pick me up when I start to feel defeated. Toughen up, buttercup. XOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment